Dental problems can be painful and expensive to fix. But what if you could avoid them altogether? At Hill Avenue Dental, preventative care is key to keeping your teeth healthy and your wallet happy. We offer a wide range of services to help you avoid dental problems before they start. For example, our dental exams at our cutting-edge Spirit Lake dental facility can catch things like dental decay or oral cancer before it becomes more of an issue.
This November, we’re joining dental practices across the country in celebrating Oral Cancer Awareness Month. And if you have a problem, we’ll work with you to find the most conservative, cost-effective solution possible.
Schedule a consultation today and see how we can help you achieve optimal oral health. With our help, you can keep your smile looking great for years to come. And best of all, you won’t have to break the bank to do it.
Call us or visit our website to schedule a consultation today!
Oral Cancer Awareness Month at Hill Avenue Dental
November is Oral Cancer Awareness Month, and Hill Avenue Dental is committed to increasing awareness of this disease. Oral cancer is often diagnosed in its late stages when treatment is more complicated and the prognosis is poorer. That’s why regular dental checkups is vital so oral cancer can be caught early and treated effectively.
Oral cancer can affect anyone, but certain risk factors make some people more likely to develop the disease. These include smoking, heavy alcohol use, and a family history of oral cancer. If you have any of these risk factors, getting regular dental checkups is even more important.
We use the latest technology at Hill Avenue Dental to screen for oral cancer. For example, we use an intraoral camera, which provides a quick and painless way to thoroughly screen for abnormal tissue changes that may be indicative of cancer.
What is Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, hard and soft palate, sinuses, and pharynx (throat). It is often diagnosed in its late stages because symptoms can be subtle and easily overlooked. That’s why we recommend coming in every six months for a dental checkup.
Signs and Symptoms of Oral Cancer
Signs and symptoms of oral cancer include:
- A sore or irritation that doesn’t go away within two weeks
- A lump or thickening in the mouth or neck area
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing
- Numbness in the mouth or tongue area
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite down
- Swelling in the jaw that makes it difficult to wear dentures or speak clearly
If you experience any of these symptoms, please schedule an appointment with Dr. Darren Dotson or Dr. Amy Hartzell as soon as possible. Early diagnosis is key to the successful treatment of oral cancer.
Which Other Preventative Measures Does Hill Avenue Dental Offer?
Hill Avenue Dental offers many services we can include after your cleaning and dental exam. These preventative dental solutions can help you avoid dental problems before they start. They include:
- Fluoride Treatments: Fluoride is a mineral that helps to strengthen tooth enamel and prevent cavities. We offer fluoride treatments for both children and adults.
- Sealants: Sealants are a protective coating that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. Sealants can help to prevent cavities in these difficult-to-clean areas.
- Oral Hygiene Instruction: We offer oral hygiene instruction for children and adults. This can help you learn how to properly brush and floss to keep your teeth healthy at home.
Dental Exams in Spirit Lake, Iowa
Oral Cancer Awareness Month is an excellent reminder to schedule a dental appointment if you haven’t been in a while. It’s also a perfect time to learn more about oral cancer and how to recognize its signs and symptoms.
If you have any risk factors for developing oral cancer, be sure to mention them to our team so we can keep a close watch for any changes.