Hip-hip-hooray! Humanity has lived to see another National Dentist Day. Whether you’re a qualified dentist or an experienced patient, National Dentist Day is for everyone who appreciates teeth. After all, dentistry has come a long way over the past few millennia. We celebrate this annual milestone at Hill Avenue Dental with the best dentists in Spirit Lake, Iowa.
This March 6th, we join hands with our fellow dentists as we dedicate our skills, energy, and time to making the world healthier, one smile at a time.
Dentists are Awesome! Here’s Why:
Becoming a dentist is no easy feat. Not only does it take 8-11+ years of extensive training, but it’s also costly. Despite these massive educational hurdles, our dentists persevered and completed their education. Their years of training can change lives. Unless you’re ok eating applesauce for the rest of your life and talking through text-to-speech apps, teeth are vital for everything. Dentists help our teeth look and feel the best.
Not only is it an advanced medical profession, dentistry is also a very social position. Dentists meet various patients with unique needs, circumstances, and teeth. Nobody is ever the same! Dentists aren’t alone, either. They stand on the shoulders of giants–an excellent team of hygienists, dental assistants, and office staff. Like cogs in a well-oiled machine, they work together to provide a clean, safe, and effective dental environment.
National Dental Day Activity List:
- Schedule a Dental Checkup. If you haven’t already, it’s time to plan your next dental visit! Not only does this give your teeth something to look forward to, but you support local dentists who genuinely care.
- Brush, Brush, Brush! If you find you’re rushing through this morning ritual, make a conscious effort to brush a little longer to get to the recommended two minutes, remember to floss and care for the surfaces between your teeth, and recommit to healthy habits. You won’t regret it! Share the love and don’t forget those hard-to-reach places.
- Surprise Your Dentist. Dentistry can be a medical-intensive environment with a fair share of stress and late nights. While dentists fix a lot of smiles, they don’t get a lot of smiles in return. Surprise your dentist with something special – a card, a compliment, “world’s best dentist mug”- anything goes! It’s the thought that counts.
- Consider Cosmetic Treatments. If you have yet to try teeth whitening or straightening, now might be the time! While cosmetic treatments aren’t as urgent as other treatments, they are certainly noticeable. Upgrade your smile with a life-long investment.
10 Fun Facts About Dentistry you Didn’t Know:
- Hesi-Re is the world’s first known tooth expert! Born in ancient Egypt in 3000 BC, he was a high official known as the “Great one of the dentists.”
- On average, a person produces over 100,000 gallons of saliva. That’s enough to fill over 20 semi-trucks.
- Floss is strong. In 1992, a West Virginia inmate braided dental floss into a rope to escape prison.
- More people prefer blue over red toothpaste.
- It is estimated that there will be 10,000 new dentists by 2028. It’s an excellent time to become a dentist!
- While many know Romans for their spectacular architectural feats, they were also quite knowledgeable about dentition. They covered cavity-ridden teeth in gold crowns and used dental bridges. They even made toothpaste out of honey and crushed eggshells.
- 73% of Americans would prefer to go grocery shopping than to floss.
- Sport-related injuries cause over 5 million missing teeth each year. Next time you’re hesitant to wear your mouthguard during a game of basketball, remember this statistic!
- A dentist invented the first cotton candy machines. We’ll never know if this was an elaborate scheme to increase business!
- Snails have over 25,000 teeth. Let that sink in.
The Best Spirit Lake Family Dentistry
Have an idea to celebrate National Dentist Day? Let us know! We’re always looking for better ways to honor our fellow dentists. We thank our dentists, Dr. Darren Dotson and Dr. Amy Hartzell. We look forward to working with them for as long as we can! They are indeed miracle workers. Words alone can’t capture their exceptional service.
Come say hi, and schedule an appointment today. You won’t regret it!